- DNA has let the genie out of the bottle as regards secret
adoptions and fosterings.
- This is the story of how several Down(e)s descendants found
- 2014: Marrinan inheritance search - the deceased's maternal
married a Downes and their son gave me a copy of a Downes pedigree
which included some of my own distant cousins.
- 10 June 2015: Downes descendant from New York approaches Clare Roots Society in
advance of a 50th birthday first-ever visit to his ancestral homeland
and wrote about his visit.
- 19 June 2015: Dana Downs shows up with by far my biggest
half-identical region with a stranger thrown up in almost two years of
12 93,176,484 125,287,936 44.6 8319 Paddy/Dana
- 8 July 2015: William Brown e-mails me about a GEDmatch
match to my maternal first cousin:
4 102,789,472 114,229,035 10.3 2079 Bill/Mary
- But I noticed that he also matched Dana:
12 24,432,115 60,468,339 30.1 7961 Bill/Dana
15 22,377,651 30,755,131 19.3 1868 Bill/Dana
- All three people descend from Downes emigrants who left
house in County Clare.
- Two of the three emigrants had children born out of wedlock
who were brick walls for their descendants, prompting them to
submit DNA samples.
- Bill and Dana are double third cousins once removed.
- My Clancy ancestors and the Downes ancestors were near
neighbours in County Clare.
- Three quarters of Dana's family tree was very complete, but
grandfather Raymond came to foster parents in Texas on an orphan train
in 1904 or 1905.
- Raymond's birth parents were known to be called Henry
Clancy and Catherine
Down(e)s and he used his mother's maiden surname.
- Cath Downes sailed on the Teutonic from
Queenstown on 21
September 1899 (line 22).
- Hewry [sic in transcript] Clancy sailed on
the Lucania from Queenstown on 31 December
1899 (also line 22).
- Raymond was born in Manhattan on 24 January 1900.
- In the census of June 1900:
Downs (white, male, b. Jan 1900) was an Inmate in
the New York Foundling Asylum at 175 East 68 St. in New York (line 72).
Downs (white, female, b. May 1880 in New York [sic]
York [sic] born parents) was an Inmate and nurse also in the New York
Foundling Asylum (line 91).
Clancy (b. Apr 1874 in Ireland to Irish parents,
migrated 1899, 6/12 year in United States, alien, Car blacksmith) was a
boarder with the Haley family at 512 Spruce Street in the 9th Ward of
Terre Haute City in Harrison Township in Indiana (line 68).
- Henry Clancy travelled to New York especially to finally marry Catherine Downes on 2
- Their daughter Margaret Clancy (18 July 1905-26 December
1994) never married.
- Did she know that she had a full brother in Texas?
- Dana is my fourth cousin with most recent common ancestral
couple Hugh Clancy and Marcella Blackall.
- There is a triangulation between myself, Dana and Bob
(whose mother was a Marrinan):
12 93,176,484 125,287,936 44.6 8318 Paddy/Dana
12 116,665,672 125,064,434 11.7 2010 Dana/Bob
12 116,665,672 126,483,038 15.9 2470 Bob/Paddy
- So Bob must be related to Hugh Clancy or Marcella Blackall.
- Bob is half-identical to my paternal first cousin Antoin
just before he is identical to Dana-myself:
12 112,242,549 116,643,188 9.4 1529 Bob/Antoin
- Geography suggests that this is a West Clare connection
between Bob's maternal chromosome 12 and Antoin's maternal chromosome
- If so, then:
- I must have inherited the segment I share with Dana from
my West Clare grandmother's Clancy mother; and
- Antoin must have inherited the segment that he shares
with Bob from our West Clare grandmother's McNamara father; and
- Bob must be related to both of our West Clare
greatgrandparents, with a crossover around location 116,650,000.
- I wrote this story up initially for my friends on Facebook.
- My greatgrandfather was one of the supposed heirs to the Talty
Millions in the late 1920s.
- In the mid-1860s, Timothy Talty and his wife Margaret (née
McNamara) and several children emigrated from Knockanalban in County
Clare to Lowell, Massachusetts.
- When their youngest child T. J. Talty died in Florida on 1
April 1926, it was believed that his next of kin were his surviving
first cousins and children of pre-deceaesd first cousins.
- The lawyers got most of the money, and the cousins
got the rest.
- In August 2007, Christiane in Australia began posting
queries about her Irish-born ancestor Mary Talty, whose parents are
named on her marriage certificate as Timothy
Talty and Margaret McNamara.
- Did Mary go to Australia on her own before the rest of the
family went to Lowell? Or were there two parallel families?
- My first cousin Antoin and myself are in Christiane's top
four FTDNA matches by longest block, confirming that she is our fourth
cousin twice removed, through our McNamara greatgrandfather:
9 78,642,927 114,907,097 44.6 9497 Paddy/Antoin
9 85,380,931 103,021,449 21.2 4193 Antoin/Christiane
9 85,856,264 103,021,449 20.9 4120 Christiane/Paddy
- Christiane's ethnicity is 47% Eastern Europe; 43% Western
and Central Europe; 7% Finland and Northern Siberia; 3% Asia Minor; 0%
- My ethnicity and Antoin's are both 100% British Isles.
- Ger (whose greatgrandmother was another Marrinan) is my
(and Antoin's) third cousin once removed through our Clancy
greatgrandmother, but also belongs in this triangulation group:
9 91,667,924 99,876,710 7.2 1,783 Ger/Antoin
9 91,667,924 99,883,238 7.3 1,780 Ger/Christiane
9 91,667,924 99,968,803 7.4 1,820 Ger/Paddy
- So Ger, like Bob in Example II, must be related to both of
our West Clare
- Could this be a Marrinan connection, as Bob and Ger both
have Marrinan ancestry?
- Clare Heritage Centre's best guess was that Bob's emigrant
ancestor came from the same house in Cloghaunbeg East as Ger's
- Their longest half-identical region does not support this
3 10,443,280 13,092,999 3.8 971 Ger/Bob
- Comparisons between other descendants of these two Marrinan
families also fail to find evidence of a close relationship.
- My paterrnal grandfather's maternal grandmother was a Kett.
- Joe's mother was a Kett.
- Joe showed up as a match to me.
18 10,042,421 14,911,927 10.5 1222 Joe/Paddy
- Kett is our only common surname.
- Joe's grandfather Joseph Kelly Kett of West Clare, chairman
of Clare County Council, voted for my first cousin three times removed
Georgina Frost, daughter of Margaret Kett of East Clare, in a famous
election for Clerk of Petty Sessions.
- Was this a political statement or motivated by family
- 11 January 2016: results for J.J., Joe's fourth cousin
with most recent common
ancestral couple John Kett and Mary O'Connell.
18 10,089,488 12,783,948 6.4 809 Joe/J.J.
18 8,592,839 13,398,960 12.6 1565 Paddy/J.J.
- Case proved?
- 2 September 2016: results for Mary, my half first cousin
once removed through my paternal grandmother.
18 8,206,997 12,783,948 13.0 1596 J.J./Mary
18 8,452,678 22,744,757 22.7 3184 Paddy/Mary
18 10,089,488 13,874,009 8.5 1089 Joe/Mary
- The DNA segment that I thought came to me through my
paternal grandfather from his Kett grandmother must have come to me
through my paternal grandmother who was Mary's half-aunt.